Friday, April 17, 2009

Old monk - short story

Nothing is changed in life for Sam, Ram and Rags. As usual it’s another Thursday evening they were relaxing at Sam’s luxury pent house, listening to the most romantic songs from his highly sophisticated home studio. All three were well settled in their own jobs but not quite happy with whatever they had and always in look out for something else. They loved each other’s company and had good times always together.

When the Sonu’s “Anisuthide Yako indu” track came to end, Sam broke his silence and said “Dude you know! Very lately I have strange dreams in nights”.
Then Rags just smiled and said “ hmm interesting so which girl this time ?”.
Sam sounded bit serious and said “ No dude I am really serious”.
Ram gulped his last sip and smilingly said “You might be thinking of something very much lately and that might cropped up like this in your dream”.
“No da, I had never thought about it anytime. It’s totally new to me too” said Sam excited.
“Fine then let us know what you had in your dreams” Rags opened up.

Sam adjusted himself well in his huge couch and started “You know I am more or less an Atheist, but very recently I am experiencing this strange dreams continuously everyday for last few days and the most frightening thing is that it’s the same dream I get everyday ”.

Both Ram and Rags were surprised and looked at each other’s face. Ram is a kind of person who believes that there exits lot of things in life than just living. He feels everything In life is based on pure science and nothing else.

Ram cleared his throat and started giving some fundas on how and why dreams formulates and there is no need to give any special attention to all this.
Sam seemed to be provoked and said “ Ram, please stop this spiritual, intellectual shit and say something in present. Tell me why I have that dream?”.
Ram was taken aback because he has never seen Sam like this earlier and he said “ok then Explain me what you dream everyday”.

Sam very seriously told “ Every night a very old monk dressed in a maroon and orange robe with long beard appears in front of me. I can hear a strange but pleasing chanting in the background when he speaks, his voice is very low more like a whisper but it’s so clear that not even a word is missed”.

Rags seemed to puzzled , just scratched his head and started staring at Sam.

Sam was totally involved in his own world and he continued
“ The old monk just waves his hand and says to me,
” Sam this is not the place for you. Just move out of here”.
And the monks voice is well modulated, he does not seemed to be disturbed he is so pleasant and neither seems to be angry or smiling. He just says these words and walks into the monastery.

There was a strange silence for few minutes after Sam finished. Everyone was thinking something but no one spoke, may be they don’t really know what they were thinking.

Then Ram broke out “ Sam, You just need to find out yourself on this. All others can, just be creative and give some fundas like me”.
Sam asked “ What do you mean ? ”.
Ram in a serious tone “ Go and find out what that dreams means to you by yourself”.
Rags seems to be frustrated listening to their conversation and said “ Fuck Ram, Don’t say your lousy shit to him and confuse him. Let his have a couple of pegs and everything will be fine”.
But Sam seemed to be interested in Rams words and quietly stood and went towards rest room.

Silence prevailed as both Ram and rags were thinking within themselves.

Sam came out of Restroom speaking in his mobile saying “Thank You” and threw the mobile on couch which fell down.
Rags shouted “You dude be careful, who was that ?”.

Sam smilingly said “I am leaving tonight at 11 for Kushal Nagar”.
Rags shouted “What? Have you gone nuts. Don’t listen to all this crap from him man. It’s just shit”.
Sam very quietly said “No I am not doing because he asked me to. I wanted it too. I wanted to prove myself that all these things happening with me is just crap”.

Ram smilingly stood from his stool and said “It’s time for me to go, Sam do you want me to drop?”.
Sam said “ No dude I can manage, Will call you from Kushal Nagar”. He seemed to be very much on earth.
Ram hugged him and said “Be cool man, Happy journey” and left shaking hands with Rags.
Rags too left to his place after dropping Sam at bus stand.

The silence prevailed for some reason between them.
----------------
After a couple of day , Ram and Rags were at a coffee shop when Rags mobile rang. Rags excitingly said “Hey it’s our Sam”.
Ram plucked the phone from Rags and answered “ Hey dude , whatz up? How are things? Are you ok ?”.
Sam sounded dull , he said “ I am fine da, I will be there tomorrow morning, Will catch up then”.
Ram asked again “ Is everything fine? What happened with your dream ?”.
Sam said “You are right man, it’s a mind game nothing much. I just realized now that what am I doing here in this lousy monastery, I should have been in my studio with my music, the one I worship rather than GOD”.
Ram smilingly said “It’s ok Be cool man. Have a safe journey, Will catch up tomorrow morning then. Happy Journey! Bye”.
Rags curiously asked “ What he said?”.
Ram casually said “He will be at his studio tomorrow morning, Nothing to worry”.
----------------
At 7am next morning mobile rings. After continuous ringing for 10 minutes rags picks up the phone “Hello !”.
There is no voice from the other side, all he can hear was heavy breathing of someone on the other side.
But rags recognized the breadth and said “Sam what happened? Are you ok ? Where are you ?”.

Sam could hardly speak and just consoled himself for a while, took a deep breath and said in a very low voice “I standing outside my flat, My Studio is totally gutted by fire along with the other three floors last night. ”.

******************************************************************

3 comments:

Raghu said...

Wow!!! amazing... is just the least I can say. I found story very good. Now you have re-defined the art of story telling. Kudos!! its a gripping story. you rock.

The characters are amazing!!! the story flows seamlessly and i got engrossed. May its all different stages of life, those characters that are depicted.
I feel you are the old monk visionary... nice work keep it up.

Arunkumar PT said...

Hey Man!!!!! this is amazing!!!
When I saw the title, thought of something else ;)..Now u can start writing stories also!!! I read it more than 5 times..really nice.

Surya said...

Hi ravi...great story...cool....bring some more from you...waiting for it..thanks